Can you tell what it is yet?

Quite possibly one of a kind this is a vision mixer cake. This was for Julie's 50th birthday (Mr Chris' sister's, sister-in-law).

This was a tricky one for me. I struggled with the design because a vision mixer is basically a box with hundreds of buttons. The original idea was to make the vision mixer itself but in my opinion, if you're trying to recreate something realistic in cake, the key to it's success is in the detail. Although Julie's husband was kind enough to sneak me some pictures of the one Julie uses at work, I wasn't confident I could do a good enough job of it. I didn't want to let them down but you've got to know your limitations and also know what you can do with the time you have.

So I opted for a miniature model of a vision mixer where the detail wouldn't matter as much. Credit to Mr Chris as it was his idea to cut away half of the top cake to create a desk. I then asked Julies Mum, Jean, what shows Julie had worked on through her career and I got a bunch of them printed on to edible paper to represent TV screens, and personalise the cake.


I have to admit, even though I know Jean and Paul, I was very nervous delivering this cake. I did my best but it didn't quite match the vision I'd had in my head and I just hoped they wouldn't be disappointed with it. Fortunately I'm my biggest critic and their reactions were exactly what I was hoping for. They were really pleased with it and Julie too..
"Well, where do I start? Yet again your cake making skills have blown me away! And this time the cake was for ME! I can't thank you enough! It was amazing Cheryl. You have got the desk spot on and I can only imagine how long it took you to cut out all the buttons, knobs & levers. And I shall never know how you got the icing through the printer to make all the pictures!! Hehe! Again, as per the Minion, I didn't want to cut it up. Eventually we took a huge slice off the back and we all had a piece of scrummy chocolate cake at our dinner party last night."
I'm so glad you liked it Julie. I'm certain cutting all those little buttons must be easier then remembering what they all do!

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo